A sieve belt press is a machine that compresses a suspension between filter cloth (filter belts), whereby pressure can be built up with the aid of rollers, which results in separation of a solid and a liquid. A belt filter press is part of a larger installation. In such an installation you will find all sorts of peripheral equipment, such as a polymer installation, pumps (sludge supply, belt rinse water, filtrate discharge) and a cake discharge installation.
Applications for filter belt presses can be found in the dewatering of sludge and slurry in waste water treatment, soil cleaning, mining industry, chemical industry, agriculture and horticulture, etc. In addition, belt presses are also used in fruit processing (preparation of fruit juices and wine making). In contrast to a (chamber) filter press, a sieve belt press is in continuous operation.
Sludge removal is an important operational cost item for water treatment. The lower the dry matter content of sludge, the more is paid for the removal of water. The dry matter content in organic waste water sludge rises to around 25%; 60 percent is certainly possible for some inorganic sludges.
Advantages of a belt filter press
- Robust and continuous process
- Autonomous machine; works without operator intervention (system cleans itself)
- Large pre-drainage and press zone
- Maximum dewatering through cracking in the sludge cake while passing the rollers
- Maximum number of rollers in a relatively compact installation (7-15 pieces for extra high dry matter content)
- Maintenance friendly